- Wireless access point broadcasts its Service Set IDentifier (SSID).
- Your device detects the SSID broadcasts of any nearby wireless access points.
- When you pick an SSID, your device connects to the wireless access point.
- The wireless access point will typically ask for a password.
- If the password you type in is correct, the wireless access point will assign you a connection and encrypt your communication.
Most modern mobile devices also allow wireless roaming; this feature checks the strength of Wi-Fi networks you’ve previously connected to and connects to the strongest one.